Wednesday, March 2, 2011

29 Week Update

Another doctor (just OB) appointment this morning. 


My OB no longer does ultrasounds at each appointment, as the boys' growth is being so closely monitored by the Perinatologists.  This is nice, in that I very much dislike the ultrasound goop that they use, but it is kind of fun to get a chance to see the babies.  From now on, my OB will just monitor my growth (it's never encouraging to hear that I am measuring bigger now than I did with Ryder at full-term.  I mean, I knew that I was, but to have an actual number confirm it a different thing).  Their heartbeats were also both sounding great.


I talked with my OB about my continued fatigue, and while that is expected with any pregnancy, and even more so with a multiple birth pregnancy, he recommended I start taking an iron supplement.  My blood tests indicate that my iron levels are still within a normal range, but are quite low for "my normal" iron levels - meaning, the boys are taking as much of it as they can, leaving me with just a little.  The iron isn't a "magic pill" as he was quick to point out, but should at least help the fatigue not worsen quickly.  Oh, and my blood pressure remains at an "optimal" level!


My OB confirmed some dates with me . . . once I hit 35 weeks (April 13), if I go into labor naturally, he will not likely stop me from progressing.  Anything previous to that date, he will do what he can to delay the labor.  Also, if I can make it to 38 weeks (May 4), he says that it will be up to me when I want to be induced - he does not want me to go much longer than that, but will "allow" me to, as long as the babies and I are doing okay still.  That means we still have at least 6 weeks to wait, but no more than 9ish weeks, until we can meet these boys!


Finally, Patrick and I talked with my OB about the Whooping Cough (Tdap) Vaccination (or booster).  Due to an increase in cases of Whooping Cough in the state, Utah Health Clinics is coming around to State Offices offering the vaccination to employees and covered dependents.  It is recommended for various groups of people, including those that will be in close contact with children, especially ages 12 months and younger.  My OB encouraged Patrick to receive the booster anytime, and for me to get it following delivery.  Patrick and I aren't asking each of you to get it, but if your employer or health insurance offers it (and covers it like ours does), feel free to get one!

No comments: