Sunday, April 21, 2013

Apraxia Walk . 2013

Yesterday was the Utah Walk for Children with Apraxia of Speech.  Whew - I just call it the "Apraxia Walk"!

The Walk wasn't quite what I had expected, but I am glad we participated.

We got to the Walk early to check-in.  It had rained all morning, and it was still rather cold.  The boys were layered well, which worked out fine, since their shirts were way too big for them - they just wore them over the layers & jacket!  The boys each played the "Go Fish" game, and ate a picnic lunch under the bowery.



The Walk was actually 2.5 miles (a 4K), rather than the "1ish" mile I had been told.  Our Team was mostly together, but I am missing pictures of several people (ahead of us).



Once back, we waited as they drew raffle winners, and then awarded the "Apraxia Stars" with a medal, and a bag of various trinkets.

(Ryder, Harvick, and Jarrett)

Due to some last minute events, our Team was down a few people.  I also didn't get a chance to grab a picture of everyone there.  There is always next year, right?!

Left: Us (Jarrett with me, Harvick with Patrick, Ryder standing)
Top Row: Reed/Sheldon Family; Jim & Martha Harris
Bottom Row: Felice Gant & Mariah Ruiz; Gerry & Roxie Sianez

I wrote the following on Facebook last night:

It's been a long day. A good day, though. Thank you to everyone that has supported our family in the Apraxia Walk today - those that donated, bid, and/or purchased items in our auction. Those that were thinking of our family today. And, those that walked alongside us. I took plenty of pictures, but they'll be posted later. Tonight, I want you to know we appreciate you. We appreciate you more than I can express, really. THANK YOU!

I meant it. The auction we held was very successful - thanks to Felice (pictured above) for initiating it, the many donations made, and to the bidders!  I know many family & friends weren't able to physically be there to walk with us, but I appreciated all of those who reached out to let us know they would be making a donation, or would be thinking of us.

And, at the end of what turned out to be a very long event, I asked Patrick to take a picture with me.  I often thank everyone who supports our family, but don't often take the time to thank him directly.

Thank you Patrick!

With the support of all of you, our total Team Hansen donation to CASANA was $766.00!  Thank you!

One-step-at-a-time.

No comments: