Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Apraxia of Speech . Week 11

Ryder had a break from Speech Therapy this week.  After having three sessions last week, and possibly two next week, it worked out for the best.

I'm cautious to say we are seeing improvement.  I mean, we are.  But, it's so very gradual.  Speaking for myself (although, I know Patrick feels similarly), the hardest part is seeing children the same age as Ryder, talking 100% more than he does.  Apraxia of Speech is such a minor disability when compared to other issues children face, yet it is so completely major, when compared to other "typical developing" children.

To be honest, I want to be angry.  I want to allow myself to be sad when co-workers/friends/family tell us about their young child/grandchild/friend/relative, and the funny things they say.  The made-up stories they tell to their parents.  The words that they repeat, that the adult is embarrassed by.  It's hard for me to not long for Ryder to do the same.  The thing I have to continuously remind myself of, is that while Apraxia of Speech is a disability, it doesn't have to be debilitating.  Ryder is so smart.  So smart.  And, for that, we are grateful.  We have to battle his ability to speak, but we don't have to battle with a lack of comprehension.  We are fortunate.

The more positive Patrick and I are about any attempt Ryder makes at a word, the more he continues to try.  Asking him to say "train" (well, "tain", really) would throw Ryder into a tantrum just a week ago.  We have encouraged (and, at times, will bribe) him to say it for months now.  Just this week, he will attempt to repeat the word.  It is rarely close to accurate, but he is so very proud of himself when we make his attempt a big deal.  Watching as Ryder becomes more open to "parroting" (repeating a sound/word when asked), I am able to remain positive about his prognosis.

One-step-at-a-time.

No comments: