Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apraxia of Speech . Week 25

This week Ryder had Early Intervention and Private Speech Therapy.

Ryder threw an immediate fit at the beginning of the Early Intervention Therapy. After only a few minutes, he calmed down, and was willing to participate without issue.  They were able to complete the remainder of the therapy with Ryder's full participation.

The plan with the SLP was to meet at the front of the library, and let her take Ryder back to do therapy.  I would follow in a few minutes, sitting within earshot, but out of eyesight.  Ryder; however, had different plans - he was insistent that I join them, telling me "mom, come wif (with) nee (me)".  So, I went with him.  Ryder sat on the floor with the SLP, while I sat in a chair within reaching distance - I watched and listened to everything, but did not interact.  Ryder in awesome!  His attention span is definitely that of a 2-year-old, and thankfully his SLP is willing to continuously change her method of engaging him.  Last week, Ryder decided the SLP's u-shape mat that holds flashcards looks like a train track.  And - this week - the SLP brought 3 train cars for the newly named mat.  Ryder was so excited!  Also - at the end of a successful therapy session, Ryder was given his pick of train stickers!

Ryder is making progress.  It's slow.  But, it's steady.  His words are becoming more intelligible to people other than Patrick and myself.  He is trying more frequently to parrot words with us.  He is starting to see his own success, and I think he is motivated by it.  Don't get me wrong - we are still a long way from discontinuing therapy.  A very long way.  But, progress is important, even when it is slow.

One-step-at-a-time.
CASNA

No comments: