Tuesday, July 31, 2012

We're Back!

We left last Friday at 4:30am for Colorado...and came home this evening...109 hours later.  The trip was short (although, the drive was LONG), but so much fun!

I may have taken too many pictures...coughanaverageof5perhourweweregonecough...and have to sort through them.  So, posts of the trip will be delayed, but coming.

As I took a quick look through the pictures tonight, I loved seeing the memories we made.  Most likely, my boys will not remember this trip long-term.  I know that I don't remember most trips to Colorado to see family - at least not individually.  But, I remember driving there, and memories made.  And, while I know my camera can be obnoxious at some points (ie, in the swimming pool!), I am so grateful for the pictures.  My Aunt Colleen mentioned that she is so grateful for all of the photos she has of her and her husband, and her family together.  The not-so-pretty pictures with no make-up, bad hair, and on and on. When her husband, my Uncle Mike, died so unexpectedly, it was tragic.  And continues to be.  But, thankfully, she has pictures. Pictures that captured the moment.  Even if she didn't love the picture in the moment then.  She loves them now.  And, that is why I do it.  Why I treat my "big" camera as if it were a point-and-shoot.  Why it is with me most of the times we leave the house on the weekends.  Why Patrick has to keep reconfiguring how to store my (large quantity of) pictures.

It's for the memories.  I hope I never stop.

Me, with my Aunt Colleen.  Just before leaving this morning.  I love that she doesn't hesitate when I ask her for a picture.  Even when I had a dozen other "better" opportunities to get a good one of both of us.

No comments: