Thursday, August 9, 2012

Apraxia of Speech . Week 32

What a difference a week makes.  Thankfully!

As we drove home yesterday afternoon, Ryder talked to me about seeing the "train mailbox" - there is a mailbox decorated like a train on the way to Speech (between the babysitter's home, and the library)...

Me: Oh, do you mean the mailbox that we see on our way to Speech?
Ryder: Yes, to see (SLP name)!
Are you going to be nice tomorrow when we see (SLP)?
(sheepishly) Yes.  I sah-we (sorry) mom.  I made me hi (cry) and my mom hi (cry).
That's right, Ryder.  You made mom and Ryder cry, didn't you?
Yes.  I sah-we.  I be nice mom.  I be nice to (SLP) too.

And, at that, I cried again.  Our little boy understands what is happening.  He gets what I am saying (and what I am not).  His verbal expression limits his ability to talk about it.  He takes awhile to process it, and find a way to explain.

Today, we talked about being nice, and trying to talk, all morning and again on the way to Speech.  Ryder indicated he understood.  He agreed to "be nice".  And...he did it.  He participated well.  Of course, as I've commented before, "well" is not perfect.  Well means that he has ups and downs with his willingness, that the SLP has to move from activity to activity frequently.  But, that is part of providing Speech Therapy to a just-turned-3-year-old.

The SLP had a new "gumball" toy that Ryder really enjoyed, and also a set of 7(!) trains.  He was willing to say several sets of words in order to play with the toys.  That, and the goldfish he brought with him, provided great motivation.  When he wanted to stop participating mid-session, I reminded him that he needed to be nice, even when it was hard.  He continued to try.

Then, as we got in the car today...

Ryder: Mom!  Me be nice!  Me be nice to (SLP)
Me: Yes, that's right - you were a nice boy today.  I am very proud of you.
Yes!  I jus (just) hi (cry) ONE TIME mom.
Just one time - last week, right?
YES!  Me be nice.

When Patrick called on his way home from work, Ryder was excited to tell him that he had done well. Patrick told him he was proud, and what a good boy he was for working hard.

Apraxia of Speech is hard.  It is hard having a child that understands everything, but can verbalize very little.  He is working hard, and despite hard weeks (and hard days, and hard months), he is making progress.  We will beat this damn thing.  He will talk.  It just takes time.  It will be easier one day.

And, again this week, I snapped a few pictures when he was engaged (and not noticing my phone make it's picture taking sound (anyone know how to turn that off on a Blackberry?!).

Counting the balls from the gumball machine...saying a few sets before getting another chance to play with the toy...showing his train the words he was practicing.

One-step-at-a-time.


No comments: